HEADLINES

Kunduz: USA Says Afghan Ordered Airstrike That Killed Civilians

By MEGHAN KENEALLY, October 7, 2015. ABC News.

afghan_clinic_bombed Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) said today in a statement, "The U.S. government has admitted that it was their airstrike that hit our hospital in Kunduz and killed 22 patients and MSF staff. Their description of the attack keeps changing – from collateral damage, to a tragic incident, to now attempting to pass responsibility to the Afghanistan government. The reality is the U.S. dropped those bombs. The U.S. hit a huge hospital full of wounded patients and MSF staff."  (Photo: ABC News)

Gen. John Campbell, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, said today that Afghan forces who were under attack by the Taliban requested the U.S. airstrikes that resulted in 22 deaths at a hospital in Kunduz run by Doctors Without Borders.

“We have now learned that on October, 3rd, Afghan forces advised that they were taking fire from enemy positions and asked for air support from U.S. Forces,” Campbell told reporters at a Pentagon briefing. “An air strike was then called to eliminate the Taliban threat and several civilians were accidentally struck.”

Campbell said that information was different from initial reports that “indicated that U.S. forces were threatened and that the air strike was called on their behalf.”

He said three investigations are underway and “if errors were committed, we’ll acknowledge them. We’ll hold those responsible accountable and we will take steps to ensure mistakes are not repeated.”

  • In addition to the U.S. military’s internal investigation, joint investigations are also being conducted with the Afghan government and NATO.

Campbell declined to address the rules of engagement for the U.S. military troops in Kunduz and who specifically had ordered the airstrike, citing the ongoing investigation.

But he acknowledged that “the Afghans asked for air support from a special forces team that we have on the ground providing train advise and assist in Kunduz.”

“But I think the impression that people got after the first couple days is they were firing directly on U.S. forces, and what I’m telling you today is as I’ve talked to the investigating officer, as we continue to get updated information, that that was not the case in this place,” Campbell said.

He restated that the 9,800 U.S. troops serving as trainers Afghanistan are not directly fighting the Taliban.

“Afghanistan remains an area of active hostilities and our personnel continue to operate in harms way,” he said. “Therefore, they retain the inherent right of self-defense.”

The organization (MSF) this weekend had demanded an independent investigation into the deadly airstrike in Kunduz, Afghanistan, that struck an MSF-run hospital, “under the clear presumption that a war crime has been committed,” calling the U.S. military’s announcement that it would formally investigate “wholly insufficient.”

“Relying only on an internal investigation by a party to the conflict would be wholly insufficient,” a weekend statement from MSF General Director Christopher Stokes said.

Gen. Campbell responded today when asked about the request for the organization’s independent investigation, “If there’s other investigations out there that need to go on I’ll make sure that we coordinate those as well but I won’t go into those details here. We’re going to do everything we can in this case to be open and transparent.

Campbell confirmed that an AC-130 gunship had been called into strike at Taliban fighters.

Brigadier Gen. Richard Kim is conducting the initial military investigation and Campbell said he should have a preliminary report “in the next couple of days.”

Click Picture for a Popular Article

  • Two homeless brothers try to survive on the streets of India.
  • The May 18-21 festival appeared to be a Saudi charm offensive aimed at federal policy makers as the Trudeau government fields questions about its decision to grant export permits for the armoured vehicles to a country that U.S. watchdog Freedom House regularly ranks among “the worst of the worst” on human rights. The Saudi embassy blamed “logistical reasons” for its last-minute change of plans when contacted Monday and a spokesperson said the country’s decision was not motivated by fear of protesters. Foreign Affairs Minister Stéphane Dion’s office had already said he would not be attending the “Saudi Cultural Days in Canada.” The embassy was adamant the event “had nothing to do” with the $15-billion arms deal and said it had been planned for years. Canada’s Department of Global Affairs, however, said it was notified of the “Cultural Days” on Jan. 14. That date was nearly two weeks after mass executions in Saudi Arabia drew public condemnation from the Trudeau government.
  • The Center for Inquiry (CFI) is amongst 17 organizations and two individuals that sent a letter to U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry today (January 5, 2016) urging him to press Saudi Arabian King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud to halt the execution of Sheikh Nimr Baqir al-Nimr and several other demonstrators from the country’s marginalized Eastern Province. On October 24 2015, the Saudi Supreme Court ratified the death sentence issued to Sheikh Nimr in October 2014. Since September, the Saudi criminal justice system has also ratified the death sentences of Ali al-Nimr, Dawood al-Marhoon, and Abdullah al-Zaher, three men arrested as minors in 2012 for their protest activity.
  • Faces of the women who had their lives cut short by Pickton.
  • A malnourished child lies on a weighing machine at a therapeutic feeding Centre at Al Sabyeen hospital in Sana’a. (Reuters)
  • Documentary: Part One - A Year In Space With Scott Kelly
  • The Liberals are on the defensive after court documents released earlier this month revealed that Mr. Dion, not Stephen Harper’s Conservatives, signed the export permits to allow seventy-percent (70%) of the transaction to ship to Saudi Arabia. Many observers had assumed the Conservatives had granted export permits when they signed the deal. trudeau speaking"The Liberal signature on the export permits means that the Liberal government has taken full ownership of a decision to sell arms to a country notorious for human-rights abuses.
  • Yemen woman in bright scarf and hat, "War humiliated my daughter." Aunt Khemissa argument.
  • Prime Minister Justin Trudeau welcomes Syrian refugees to Canada late Thursday night at Pearson International airport
  • And now - a country with more than 10,000 people killed in the ensuing violence, over 10,000 more died of starvation under the blockade of humanitarian aid and supplies - the Middle East’s poorest nation, Yemen is reduced to the brink of famine.
  • Ronald Reagan meets Afghan Mujahideen Commanders at the White House in 1985.
  • Donald Trump Jumps The Shark

Click Picture for a Popular Cartoon

  • Satire: USA Denies Whites Can Be Terrorist
  • Donald Trump kissing his daughter
  • al-Batshit-Assad
  • Way-back Machine: Who Vogue'd It Best? Take our poll at Alistair Reign News Blog: AlistairReignBlog.com
  • GOP Caption winner first place on AlistairReignBlog.com
  • I hate Monday
  • Britney Spears Looking Hot in black leather in Toxic music video. who was sexiest? Britney in Toxic or Taylor Swift in Bad Blood
  • What Donald Would Do!
  • The moment Bruce Jenner realized he was a woman
  • When cartoons turn into people
  • Tune in to the Putin and Obama Old-Timey Show ~*~ Vaudeville Style!! Brought to you by Alistair Reign News Blog: AlistairReignBlog.com
  • The Donalds invade Washington Caption This photo winner 1The Donalds invade Washington Caption This photo winner 1
  • Caption this winner sept 1