In April 2015, Eva Kor, who survived the Holocaust, publicly forgave ex-Auschwitz accountant Oskar Groening. This documentary tells their stories, and explores the impact of her forgiveness. January 27 is Holocaust Memorial Day in the UK, a time for us to remember the victims of the Nazis, as well as those who lost their lives in other genocides across the world.
Sorry folks, I have removed this video to make space on my server for new videos. We have a wide variety of films to watch in theVideosection.
But while we seem to be in agreement that it’s – vital that we never forget these atrocities– the question of forgiveness has proved much more controversial.
It (Documentary) looks at one of the last stories to emerge from the horrors of the Holocaust. Born in Romania in 1934, she lost almost all of her family in Auschwitz… she was subjected to horrific medical experiments at the hands of the notorious Doctor Mengeles. However, what really thrust the case into the headlines were the actions of Holocaust survivor Eva Kor, 81,who publicly forgave him and even embraced him in court.
For some people, that made her gesture of forgiveness all the more moving. Although it ultimately made no difference to the outcome of the trial – Groening was found guilty of being an accomplice to the mass murder of 400,000 Jews and sentenced to four years in prison – the image of their hug went viral.
She would later say: “I don’t forget what they have done to me. But I am not a poor person – I am a victorious woman who has been able to rise above the pain and forgive the Nazis.”
It (Documentary) hears from some the last Holocaust survivors living in Britain, who, like Eva, lost their families at Auschwitz. They talk about how they continue to be haunted by their experiences, and why for some of them, Eva’s actions felt like a betrayal of the memory of their loved ones.
There are no easy answers, but the film aims to explore a difficult issue, while also paying testament to survival against the odds and the persistence of humanity.
This video has been removed to make room for new videos.
Watch rare video interviews and news reports in our Documentaries section.
His three uncles, dressed in smart blue jackets over traditional white robes and wearing colourful turbans, were holding a joint wedding ceremony and party. Their three brides, all from nearby villages, had just arrived in a convoy of 30 cars, beeping horns and playing loud music in celebration, when a power generator failure prompted Abdullah to leave the house with one of his uncles to see what was wrong.
Moments later, at 9.30pm, the deafening roar of warplanes filled the air and missiles rained down from the sky on to the two-storey wedding house built on the top of a hill in the small town of Sanabani, 60 miles south of the capital Sanaa.
“We heard the terrifying sound of the jets,” Abdullah recalled in a weak voice. “My uncle pushed me behind a water tank. Missiles fell on us and exploded, and when I looked around, I found all those who were around me dead. My uncle’s body was torn into pieces. He hadn’t got married yet.”
“I am in pain all the time. My whole body has been scorched,” Abdullah Qais Sanabani.
Abdullah spoke to The Independent by telephone from bed in a Jordanian hospital, where he was flown for emergency treatment after the attack:
According to witnesses, at least 57 of the wedding party – mostly members of the extended families of the brides and the grooms – were killed and dozens others injured in the attack earlier this month. Bed-ridden and still swathed in bandages, Abdullah suffered first-degree burns in the face and body and said he was afraid that doctors might amputate his hands.
A health ministry official in Dhamar, Mohammed Gamah, said the final death toll had risen to 66 – 33 women, 18 men and 15 children – and 54 others injured.
Six months since the Saudi-led coalition started its air campaign, aimed at rolling back Yemen’s Houthi rebels who had seized control of the capital and much of the north of the country, more than 5,400 people have been killed, at least half of them instantly.
The Sanabani family’s wedding was the second in a fortnight to be struck from the air, after a previous raid killed more than 130 civilians at a ceremony near the Red Sea city of Mokha, which the United Nations described as the deadliest single event in the country since the Saudi intervention in March. A spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition, Brigadier General Ahmed Assiri, denied that an air strike was responsible for either of the killings.
Earlier this month, a Saudi move to block a planned UN-led inquiry into alleged human rights violations in Yemen was supported by Western countries including Britain, which supplies arms the Saudi regime. The inquiry would have investigated actions by both sides.
Meanwhile violence is continuing unabated. On Thursday, air strikes rocked the capital Sanaa hours after Houthis fired a Scud missile at an air base in south-western Saudi Arabia, according to the Houthi-controlled Yemeni state news agency, Saba, leaving at least five dead.
On Friday jets from the Saudi-led military coalition bombed the house of Yemen’s Speaker of parliament, residents said, as part of a wave of attacks aimed at influential politicians.
The attack reportedly hit the residence of Yahya al-Rai in central Dhamar province, leaving him unscathed but killing his son. Residents of Sanaa reported around 60 coalition air strikes over the last two days on military bases and houses belonging to family members of Ali Abdullah Saleh, a former President and important ally of the Houthis.
Abdullah’s father, Qais Sanabani, said most of the dead in his family’s wedding party had been women because, according to Yemeni traditions, men must leave the house when the brides first arrive.
As well as Abdullah’s uncle, one of the brides and 10 other immediate family members perished, including his grandparents. A health ministry official in Dhamar, Mohammed Gamah, said the final death toll had risen to 66 – 33 women, 18 men and 15 children – and 54 others injured.
This article has been shortened, to continue reading click on the link below.
Gen. John Campbell, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, said today that Afghan forces who were under attack by the Taliban requested the U.S. airstrikes that resulted in 22 deaths at a hospital in Kunduz run by Doctors Without Borders.
“We have now learned that on October, 3rd, Afghan forces advised that they were taking fire from enemy positions and asked for air support from U.S. Forces,” Campbell told reporters at a Pentagon briefing. “An air strike was then called to eliminate the Taliban threat and several civilians were accidentally struck.”
Campbell said that information was different from initial reports that “indicated that U.S. forces were threatened and that the air strike was called on their behalf.”
He said three investigations are underway and “if errors were committed, we’ll acknowledge them. We’ll hold those responsible accountable and we will take steps to ensure mistakes are not repeated.”
In addition to the U.S. military’s internal investigation, joint investigations are also being conducted with the Afghan government and NATO.
Campbell declined to address the rules of engagement for the U.S. military troops in Kunduz and who specifically had ordered the airstrike, citing the ongoing investigation.
But he acknowledged that “the Afghans asked for air support from a special forces team that we have on the ground providing train advise and assist in Kunduz.”
“But I think the impression that people got after the first couple days is they were firing directly on U.S. forces, and what I’m telling you today is as I’ve talked to the investigating officer, as we continue to get updated information, that that was not the case in this place,” Campbell said.
He restated that the 9,800 U.S. troops serving as trainers Afghanistan are not directly fighting the Taliban.
“Afghanistan remains an area of active hostilities and our personnel continue to operate in harms way,” he said. “Therefore, they retain the inherent right of self-defense.”
The organization (MSF) this weekend had demanded an independent investigation into the deadly airstrike in Kunduz, Afghanistan, that struck an MSF-run hospital, “under the clear presumption that a war crime has been committed,” calling the U.S. military’s announcement that it would formally investigate “wholly insufficient.”
“Relying only on an internal investigation by a party to the conflict would be wholly insufficient,” a weekend statement from MSF General Director Christopher Stokes said.
Gen. Campbell responded today when asked about the request for the organization’s independent investigation, “If there’s other investigations out there that need to go on I’ll make sure that we coordinate those as well but I won’t go into those details here. We’re going to do everything we can in this case to be open and transparent.
Campbell confirmed that an AC-130 gunship had been called into strike at Taliban fighters.
Brigadier Gen. Richard Kim is conducting the initial military investigation and Campbell said he should have a preliminary report “in the next couple of days.”