HEADLINES

(Updated 3.12.17) TURKEY: EU Nations Block Pro-Erdogan Rallies, Ban Turk Officials

By Alistair Reign, March 11, 2017 (Updated 12th). Alistair Reign News Blog.

Updated on March 12th: Hundreds of protesters gathered near the Dutch Embassy in the Turkish capital Ankara, despite the street where it is located being sealed off by police. Demonstrators waved Turkish and Ottoman flags, shouted anti-Dutch slogans and some threw eggs, according to state-run TRT Television.

Mr. Ed Husain, a political reporter and author, tweeted images from the protest held Saturday.

Clearly outraged by his plane being refused landing clearance, Turkey’s Foreign Minister Cavusoglu tweeted the following messages, among several other remarks, all directed at the Netherlands’ government. 

After his rejection by Dutch officials, Turkey’s foreign minister made his way to Metz, France, where he was welcomed by Pro-Erdogan counterparts and supporters.

End Update.

The Netherlands has withdrawn permission for a plane carrying Turkey’s Foreign Minister, Mr. Mevlut Cavusoglu to land in the country to speak at a rally supporting expanded powers for current president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

In response, the Turkish President compared the Dutch government to “Nazis” when addressing a rally of supporters in Istanbul – only days after using the same label against the German government over rally cancellations.


Turkish authorities have sealed off the Dutch embassy and consulate, citing security reasons, sources at Turkey’s foreign ministry have said. Turkey closed off the residences of the Dutch ambassador, the head of the embassy and the consul general as tensions between the NATO partners escalated.

Mark Rutte, Dutch Prime Minister.

Mr. Mark Rutte, Dutch Prime Minister.

Mark Rutte, the Dutch Prime Minister, called the remarks “crazy” at a campaign event.

I understand they’re angry, but this of course was way out of line,” he added.

A spokesperson for the Dutch government said the move was taken because of “risks to public order and security” caused by the proposed visit by Mevlut Cavusoglu to Rotterdam on Saturday, March 11th.

The Dutch government does not have any opposition to gatherings in our country to inform them about it. But these gatherings are not allowed to contribute to tensions in our society and everyone who wants to hold a gathering is obliged to follow instructions of those in authority, so that public order and safety can be guaranteed.

Speaking at Istanbul’s airport, he said the Dutch are trying to prevent Turkish officials from meeting voters in Europe, adding: “So they cancelled it due to security concerns, what, so is the minister a terrorist? We will give them the response they deserve.

It was the latest of a series of prohibitions on campaigning in Europe by Turkish leaders drumming up support among the country’s expat voters, including several in Germany. Turkey summoned the Dutch charge d’affaires to the foreign ministry in Ankara as the dispute continued on Saturday. It came just days before the Netherlands goes to the polls in parliamentary elections on March 15th.

Turkey’s Foreign Minister, Mr. Mevlut Cavusoglu

Mr. Mevlut Cavusoglu, Turkey Foreign Minister.

With tensions growing between the EU and Turkey, Mr. Cavusoglu repeated threats to cancel agreements including last year’s deal to stem the flow of refugees to Greece if the bloc failed to carry out promised visa liberalization for Turks. He said Turkey would present a final text to the bloc on progress of the deal “and either it will all be cancelled, including the visa liberalization and migrant deal, or it will all be implemented.

At least four German local authorities have withdrawn permission for pro-Erdogan campaign events, as well as areas of Austria and Switzerland. Allies of the Turkish President are targeting more than a million Turkish voters living in Europe who will be eligible to cast a ballot in the vote on April 16, 2017.  The referendum could see Turkey’s parliamentary system replaced with an executive presidency using constitutional amendments that have alarmed human rights groups.

Germany’s refusals have sparked a diplomatic row seeing Angela Merkel’s government repeatedly compared to Nazis by Mr. Erdogan and his ministers. All cancellations have cited safety and administrative issues, but have been linked to concern over a post-coup crackdown seeing thousands of people detained in Turkey, including a Die Welt journalist who was jailed on terror charges after reporting on government corruption. [01]

Journalist Deniz Yücel, along with four others, have been jailed pending trial on charges of propaganda in support of a terrorist organisation and inciting the public to violence.

Protesters wave flags and hold signs during a motorcade on the occasion of the solidarity for Deniz Yücel in Berlin. (Photo: Clemens Bilan/ EPA).

Journalist Deniz Yücel, along with four others, have been jailed pending trial on charges of propaganda in support of a terrorist organisation and inciting the public to violence.

Authorities initially detained Deniz Yücel, a correspondent for Die Welt newspaper, earlier this year on the 14th of February after he reported on emails that a hacker collective claims they obtained from the private account of Mr. Berat Albayrak, Turkey’s energy minister – and the son-in-law of Turkey’s president, Mr. Erdoğan.

On Monday, an Istanbul court ordered Deniz Yücel, a dual citizen of Turkey and Germany, to be jailed pending trial, Reuters reports. He is the first German reporter to be held in a widespread crackdown that has followed last year’s failed July 15th coup in Turkey.


Watch rare films and TV series in our Documentaries section.


 Watch Daily News at Alistair Reign Channel on YouTube.

Click Picture for a Popular Article

  • A 29-year-old woman who was raped in October 2015 by peacekeepers stationed in Bambari, Central African Republic. © 2015 Lewis Mudge/Human Rights Watch
  • A malnourished child lies on a weighing machine at a therapeutic feeding Centre at Al Sabyeen hospital in Sana’a. (Reuters)
  • Although the ISIS terrorist network has claimed to have hacked Department of Defense networks to gain personal information, it is fairly obvious much of the information came from social media websites. Individuals who are becoming targeted victims handed the required details over to the individuals calling for the attacks. Users of social media websites are urged to use caution whenever they are online to avoid attracting attention to themselves or inadvertently providing easily accessible information that could be turned into targeting data.
  • Russia's Foreign Minister Lavrov listens to U.S. Secretary of State Kerry during a press conference at the United Nations Headquarters in Manhattan, New York
  • Paramedics rush to the scene at the capital of Faso terrorist attack by Al-Qiada on January 15, 2016. The attack comes less than two months after a terrorist attack at the Radisson Blu Hotel in the Malian capital Bamako on November 20 in which 20 people died including 14 foreigners.
  • Yemen woman in bright scarf and hat, "War humiliated my daughter." Aunt Khemissa argument.
  • The Center for Inquiry (CFI) is amongst 17 organizations and two individuals that sent a letter to U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry today (January 5, 2016) urging him to press Saudi Arabian King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud to halt the execution of Sheikh Nimr Baqir al-Nimr and several other demonstrators from the country’s marginalized Eastern Province. On October 24 2015, the Saudi Supreme Court ratified the death sentence issued to Sheikh Nimr in October 2014. Since September, the Saudi criminal justice system has also ratified the death sentences of Ali al-Nimr, Dawood al-Marhoon, and Abdullah al-Zaher, three men arrested as minors in 2012 for their protest activity.
  • UNICEF estimates nearly 400 children have been killed and over 600 injured in the past four months in the country, the poorest in the Middle East. 13 Yemeni teaching staff and four children were killed by a Saudi air strike on August 20. Two days before, coalition bombing in the Amran province took the lives of 17 civilians, injuring 20 more. UNICEF condemned what it called the “senseless bloodshed.” A Red Cross spokeswoman said the violence in Ta’iz, in southern Yemen, in just one day on August 21 left 80 people dead.
  • The Canadian Delegation to the United Nations Conference on International Organization, San Francisco, May 1945. (Photo: Public Domain). (Alistair Reign News Blog www.AlistairReignBlog.com).

Click Picture for a Popular Cartoon

  • Take Our Poll: Come on in and decide for yourself! Who worked the puffy white shirt best?
  • Donald Trump will save the day
  • Donald Trump for President of the (Mexican free and NOW Muslim free) United Sates of America. (AlistairReignBlog.com),
  • Victoria's 'Homeless' Drug Addicts
  • Donald Trump for President
  • Take Our Poll: Come on in and tell us who haunted your nightmares! Which vampire had the most ferocious fangs?
  • Putin Pumpkin Head
  • Comic Strip: Terror News with Chuck. (Alistair Reign News Blog - Comic Strips: www.AlistairReignBlog.com).

Start a Conversation or Write a Caption This joke.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.